Hello all! Can you believe it’s March already?
At the beginning of this year, I decided to think about my long term goals and set monthly goals, not any yearly goals.
I want them to be more specific and easier to evaluate whether or not I’m staying on track.
I’ve learned that sometimes my priorities and goals change (like when I got pregnant). I don’t know what motherhood is going to entail completely and it would be hard to set goals for this whole year, since I will have a baby in June. So, I’ve decided to set goals for a few months at a time, instead of the whole year.
My focus word for this year is self-discipline. I am inspired to set my goals and really be diligent about following through. Yet, I’m also going to give myself grace to change a goal or prioritize certain goals.
Earlier this year, I posted goals for the first three months. Before the month of March is over, I wanted to evaluated where I was and to make sure I make changes or prioritize things so that my goals can be met by the end of this month.
2013 Monthly Goals Check-up
For each goal, I’ve set some sort of reminder and/or picked a day to work on that goal. I’m hoping that with this purposefulness, all I need with it is self-discipline and motivation and it will get done! Here are my 2013 Monthly Goals for January through March:
Faith Focus: Self-discipline
1) Mindful Eating: Before I eat anything, 1)Offer thanks to God for His provision, and 2)Be mindful of the nourishment/benefit that the food will give me (or not give me if it’s potato chips, ice cream, etc.).I’ve set an alarm reminder on my phone for all meals. Hopefully this will help re-establish this habit I used to have.
This has been going well! Praying and being mindful of what I eat has helped white being pregnant. For the most part, I haven’t succumbed to my pregnancy cravings.
2) God First: Daily reading God’s word definitely takes discipline. Since I’m pregnant, my plan is to start eating breakfast with my hubby first thing after I get up, then as soon as he leaves for work, I will switch gears to reading the Bible/journaling. I will also work on my 30 before 30 goal of memorizing Colossians during this time.
Yes!! The third week in January I failed at this goal, but the next week I got back into the routine and now I’ve made a habit of spending time in God’s word every week day!
Colossians memory work – No. I need to work on that more. Haven’t been doing it….
3) Exercise: This Christmas break, I have been exercising every weekday morning, and I want to continue to workout to a prenatal exercise video right after I’m done cleaning up the breakfast dishes. I think I can continue this morning routine for the next 3 months.
Unfortunately this has not been daily like I want. It has been hit and miss. I’ve been sick, my husband’s been sick; but also I’ve been lazy. For the month of March, I’m going to give myself a little more motivation. Not only am I going to exercise, but I’m going to use a belly dancing dvd I have! (This also takes care of #11 of my 30 before 30 goals!)
Family Focus: Baby Preparation
1) Finish reading Parenting with Love and Logic and start reading Shepherding a Child’s Heart with my husband. (Read a chapter a week, then discuss together on Saturdays)
We are finished with the first five chapters of the Parenting with Love and Logic book. So we are making progress, but not as much as I had hoped. We have not discussed the book every week. (Lately my husband has been working overtime, so that has cut into “our” time.)
2) Take childbirth class(es) together. (maybe in Feb.?)
This is actually going to have to happen in April. We had to move it because of my husband’s busy work schedule. But we have signed up for the class, so it’s going to happen!
3) Go on a planning weekend with my husband (overnight trip with hubby for planning, talking, goal accountability). (in March)
Again, we are moving this because of my husband’s work schedule. Some things are just out of your hands, right? We still haven’t put a date on it, but it will happen!
Home Management Focus: Declutter & Organize
1) As we put away our Christmas decor, get rid of what we didn’t use and declutter/reorganize basement. (This Saturday)
2) Declutter and organize the baby’s room. (I’ve been working on it this week.)
Yep, I decluttered all my crafts supplies and moved them to the basement to make room for baby things. Now, we are slowly filling it with baby items.
3) Take on one organizational or decor project each week (Tuesdays)
I’ve decided to give myself some grace in this area. I am not doing an organizational or decor project every week. Some weeks I may just tackle my to-do list (like the week when I set aside a day to make all the phone calls I needed to!)
Personal Focus: 30 before 30
1) Read Declutter your Life and Tell your time: How to Manage your schedule. (Fridays)
Done with one book, one to go!
2) Send birthday cards out to family and friends on their birthdays. (In the first week of the month, I will get every card for that month ready to send.)
Yes, I successfully mailed all the cards for January and February!
3) Work on my 30 before 30 list. Here are the goals I want to accomplish (or get a start on for Jan. – March):
4. Finish the two quilts I have started. – I am going to cheat and see if I can pay someone to finish these quilts. Since becoming pregnant my priorities have shifted some. So, I will find someone to complete the quilts for me by next week if I can.
Yes, I have been talking with someone and she is going to pick them up this week.
6. Go on a classic American road trip and 9. Visit an IKEA. - Maybe incorporate this in with the planning weekend? (March?)
Not sure when this is going to happen yet…
22. Add wainscoting to the baby’s room and paint. (Feb.)
I wanted to wait until warmer weather. So I decided to schedule this for the month of March now.
What are your goals for this year? Or this month?
© 2013, Betsy Pool. All rights reserved.