I’m turning 30 this month!! AAhhhh!!!!! Crazy, right?
Remember my 30 before 30 bucket list?
Before my son was born I was pretty ambitious in what I wanted to accomplish the last month of my pregnancy and the two months following. Since I’m a first time mom, I didn’t know if my priorities would change after giving birth (which they did) and I didn’t know how much time I would have to devote to my bucket list (very little, if any).
For the months of May and June I had many goals, but what I really got done was:
- finished decorating the nursery (and redecorated it once I had a baby boy)
- continued to walk on a semi-regular basis
- finished reading most of the baby books I had (list and review coming later!)
- stocked my freezer before the baby came
- sent out birthday cards
- some last minute decluttering
There are so many things I didn’t get done. And once baby arrived, all I’ve been doing is admiring Baby Ain, caring for him, feeding him, staring at him, cloth diaper laundry every other day, dishes once or twice a week, and taking him out and about for doctor’s appointments and grocery shopping. I’ve kept up with freezer meal cooking on every third weekend. My life DOES revolve around Ain for now, but I don’t mind a bit!!
So, What about my 30 before 30 list?
Let’s see what I’ve done and what I have only 25 days to accomplish!!
1. Start writing a children’s book. - still a goal of mine.
2. Take a cooking class (or watch a couple of cooking demonstrations). – did NOT happen, but this month I’m going to be reading Cooked by Michael Pollan
3. Learn a new dance (perhaps Argentine Tango). – YES, while pregnant I learned the basics of Tango. So fun! 4. Finish the two quilts I have started. - Yes, I paid someone else to finish the quilts.
5. Take pictures of all the outfit combinations I can come up with for my wardrobe. - I’m going to work on this in the next few weeks. Especially since I recently went through and organized all my clothes – some of which I can’t wear yet.
6. Go on a classic American road trip. - Yes, my husband and I are planning on taking a trip to Colorado the weekend before my birthday!
8. Tend my own garden & cook a meal completely using my home-grown produce. – well, since I got pregnatnt and would be big come planting and growing season I chose not to garden this year. But my mother-in-law has been giving me produce and I recently have been cooking meals using that produce (Tomato Basil Pasta and Pasta Alla Norma). So I consider this done.
9. Visit an IKEA. - Yes, on our weekend trip to Colorado we are going to visit IKEA.
10. Organize all our photos. - no, this is a huge task. I completed step 1 of the task!
12. Complete a 7-day detox. - nope. I don’t want to do this while pregnant or breastfeeding.
13. Start my own business - last school year I worked 30 hours/wk. teaching piano, Chemistry, and tutoring!
14. Host 3-5 dinner parties. - we hosted two and planning on hosting another this month!)
15. Play & Sing for a talent show. – yep, at my church this month!
16. Maintain my weight (and until I get pregnant, start working on losing 10 pounds). – yes, I was able to do this. And I’m almost back down to my pre-pregnancy weight! 17. Finish the Couch to 5K program (and run a 5K). – yes, last year before getting pregnant 18. Start a ‘frugal club’ or something similar. – well, I’m now in a mom’s group and I hope to start a monthly DIY/Homemaking meeting as a spin-off to that. 19. Grow out my hair (to half way down my back). – yep! However, shortly before giving birth I decided to cut it. Then a couple of weeks ago I cut it even shorter.
20. Memorize 3 chapters of Colossians (or memorize the whole book). – nope. Memorizing is really hard for my lately.
21. Blog regularly for another year! 22. Add wainscoting to the spare room (in preparation for baby). – decided to paint the room instead. 24. Go on a cruise.
25. Work on my drawing/sketching skills so I can draw recognizable animals. - still a goal of mine.
26. Create a YouTube channel.
27. Read and discuss 4 books with my husband. - read 3 1/2 books.
28. Teach a high school class (even though I’m an elementary education major).
29. Publish an e-book. - still a goal of mine.
30. Do 30 acts of kindness during the week of my 30th birthday! – yep, plan to do it!
At the end of this month I’ll update you on what I actually accomplished! Wish me luck!
- What is on your bucket list?
© 2013, Betsy Pool. All rights reserved.