Last week I shared Roasted Potatoes, Sausage, and Veggies recipe, because Potatoes were a great price at Checkers.
Each week, Frugal Townie and I, in a combined effort will be posting the Grocery Deals Round-Up and a Frugal Recipe that goes right along with the current deals.
Here’s a recipe that goes right along with Frugal Townie’s Round-Up for the week of Feb. 15th.
All you need is for this week’s Frugal Recipe is:
– Apples (Red Delicious organic) for $0.98/lb. @ Checkers
Then, if you want to stock up on affordable fruit for smoothies:
– Bananas for $0.19/lb. @ Checkers ONLY on THURSDAYS
– Cantaloupe for $1.60 each @ Aldi
– Grapes (green or red) for $0.79/lb. @Aldi
– Grapefruit for $0.29 each @ Aldi
– Oranges for $0.77/lb. @ Hy-Vee
– Pears (D’Anjou) for $0.88/lb. @ Checkers
I usually buy a lot of fruit and then cut up and freeze about half of what I buy.
For the full list of what’s on sale this week, visit Frugal Townie – another blogger from Lawrence!!
This is an easy applesauce recipe with a 15-min. prep time!!
– 2.5-3 lbs. apples, cored but not peeled (I used Gala)
– 1/4 c. brown sugar
– 1/4 c. water
– 1 tsp. cinnamon
– zest and juice of 1 lemon
– 1 Tbl. butter
Halve the apples and core them. You don’t have to peel them (saves so much time)!!
Place the first 5 ingredients into the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until everything is mush and caramel brown in color.
Stir in butter. If desired, blend. I chose to leave mine as is. It was just a little bit chunky, but I like it that way!! So easy!
© 2012, Betsy Pool. All rights reserved.