Last time I shared an Easy Crockpot Applesauce recipe, because Apples were a great price at Checkers.
Each week, Frugal Townie and I, in a combined effort will be posting the Grocery Deals Round-Up and a Frugal Recipe that goes right along with the current deals.
Here’s a recipe that goes right along with Frugal Townie’s Round-Up for the week of Feb. 29th. (Happy Leap Day!)
These are the items on sale for this week’s Frugal and Healthy Recipe:
- Broccoli Crowns- $0.99/16 oz @ Aldi OR Checkers
- Mushrooms- $0.69/pk @ Aldi
- Carrots- $1.98/ 5 POUND bag @ Checkers
- Red Bell Peppers – $0.68/ea @ Checkers
- Cheese (shredded or block)- 3/$5 @ Dillons
Four Cheese Vegetable Lasagna
Often times, Lasagna can be a heavy, caloric dish but this one is both flavorful and lighter. This dish has plenty of vegetables, lower-fat cheeses, and still provides a healthy serving.
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 c. chopped broccoli
- 2 c. sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 c. thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 c. chopped red or green bell pepper
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 c. sliced green onion
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 c. low-fat (1 percent) cottage cheese
- 1 c. (4 oz.) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 c. (3 oz.) shredded reduced-fat Jarlsberg cheese or part-skim Swiss cheese
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 c. commercial fat-free spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
Cook lasagna noodles according to package, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven or medium-high heat until hot. Add all the veggies (broccoli, mushrooms, carrot, pepper, garlic, and onion) and saute about 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 tsp. pepper and 1/4 tsp. salt. Set aside.
Combine the first 3 cheeses (not the Parmesan) and spinach in a large bowl. Add 1/4 tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp. of pepper. Mix thoroughly.
Spread 1/2 c. tomato sauce on bottom of a 13-inch x 9-inch x 2-inch baking dish coated with vegetable cooking spray. Place ingredients in pan in this order:
1) 1/2 c. spaghetti sauce
2) 4 lasagna noodles
3) half the cottage cheese mixture
4) half broccoli mixture
5) 1/2 c. spaghetti sauce
Repeat, then add a final layer of noodles and 1/2 c. spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This yields 10 servings and each serving has 245 calories. That’s pretty low!! (Sorry I have no pictures, but I will have some next time I make this.)
© 2012, Betsy Pool. All rights reserved.