(Note: Each week Frugal Townie and I, in a combined effort post the Grocery Deals Round-Up and a Frugal Recipe that goes right along with the current deals.)
– Chicken (thighs or drumsticks)- $0.88/lb @ Checkers
– Bell Peppers 2 for $1 @ Hy-Vee
There is a LOT of fruit on sale! Here’s a recipe that goes right along with Frugal Townie’s Round-Up for the week of April 25th.
These are the items on sale for this week’s Frugal and Healthy Recipe:
– Bananas- $0.19/lb Thursday Only @ Checkers
– Blackberries- 3pks / $5 ($1.66 ea) @ Hy-Vee
– Mangoes – $0.59/ea @ Checkers
– Pineapple (whole)- $1.29/each @ Aldi
– Strawberries- $0.99/ 16oz @ Aldi
**Tip: To make your shopping easier, just take the ads for Hy-Vee and Aldi to Checkers. Checkers will honor the sale prices!!
Tropical Fruit Toss
I have not tried this recipe, but it looks really good! Fresh fruit is always a win for me! (Originally from Family Fun)
- 2 navel oranges – and/or substitute with mangoes
- 1/2 fresh pineapple
- 1 banana
- 1 kiwi (which was on sale last week!!)
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes – substitute with strawberries
- 1 tablespoon or more each of sweetened coconut flakes, chopped macadamia nuts, and chocolate chips or chocolate or rainbow sprinkles
Peel and section one of the oranges. Cut each section in half, then add to a bowl. Wash the second orange and zest it into the bowl. Then cut it in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl. (If substituting with mangoes, just add lemon juice or pineapple juice to the fruit toss.)
Peel, core, and cut the pineapple into chunks (about 1-1/2 cups). Peel the banana and slice it into rounds. Peel the kiwi and cut it into 1-inch pieces. Add other fruit you have on hand.
Garnish each with coconut, macadamia nuts, chocolate chips or sprinkles. Serves 4.
What recipes have you been enjoying lately?
© 2012, Betsy Pool. All rights reserved.